Date:      Sun, 6 Feb 2000 19:56:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Christopher Johnson <cjohnson@wcug.wwu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Vibra16/sound problems

I've been able to get some sound to work with my ISA Soundblaster Vibra16
card, but it's still having problems.  I'll try to include as much
relevant information as possible, so bear with me.

After adding:
device pcm0 at isa? port ? tty irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x0
and recompiling/installing the kernel, it will work fine with fxtv, but
not xmms or aumix, and the volume is stuck at one level. (The 'controller
pnp0' line was already in there.)

I also have:
bash-2.03# cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (981002) Feb  6 2000 18:28:23
Installed devices:
pcm1: <SoundBlaster 16 4.16> at 0x220 irq 10 dma 1:3
So I presume that the driver is working okay, but it might not be, since
dmesg reports:
/kernel: pcm0 not probed due to drq conflict with pcm1 at 1

Also /var/log/err has:
/kernel: cmd xmms pid 18252 tried to use non-present sched_getscheduler
and:
/kernel: pcm0: unit not configured, perhaps you want pcm1 ?

I'm running 3.4-STABLE on a PII/350 w/256 MB of ram.

I think I just have something misconfigured, but being new to FreeBSD, I
don't know where to start.  I read the pcm man page, the mixer man page,
the handbook, and the FreeBSD diary, and I'm just not sure what I'm doing
wrong.  sh -x /dev/mixer reports that there is no such device name, and
although sh -x /dev/snd0 and snd1 seem to work, I think it's the reason I
have about 20-25 dsp** entries in /dev. (I did the /dev/snd0 a few times,
because the pcm man page suggested recreating the symlinks)

Thanks in advance!

Chris Johnson
cjohnson@wcug.wwu.edu