Date:      Wed, 9 Sep 1998 14:59:31 -0500
From:      jher <jher@io.com>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   suggestion

	I would like to suggest a number of different ports kits.
I work for an ISP and I find myself grabbing the entire ports kit, installing
it (which takes forever) and then only using about 20% of the kit, if that.
What I would like to suggest is twofold:

first:  how about making tar files of each category? I.E. www.tar, net.tar,
etc.. That way I can just update an entire section of my ports collection at
once.

second: combine said categories into larger groups like "foreign.tar" which
has german, vietnamese, korean, etc.. in it.. "webserver.tar" which has say
net.tar, www.tar, shells.tar, lang.tar, etc..

This would make life a hell of a lot earlier for folks like myself.  Also,
why the heck does the default install of freebsd 2.2.x and 3.x have perl4 as
the default perl instead of perl5?  Everytime I do an upgrade it breaks my
setup..

--
Today is Boomtime, day 33 in the season of Bureaucracy, 3164.