Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 1995 22:35:52 +0300
From:      Petri Helenius <pete@silver.sms.fi>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        julian@tfs.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Routing nightmares.

Joe Greco writes:
 > Except that most workstations (in particular I am thinking of Suns) won't
 > really work in this scenario, if they're located on the 255.255.0.0
 > interface (or at least won't be able to talk to the router-separated
 > subnet), for the reasons we've been discussing.  Unless....

This can be solved installing a subnetwork-route pointing to the freebsd-box's
interface. This is the correct way to do this. Whether your version of the
OS supports the route correctly (if there was a freebsd it would) is an issue
you should resolve with your OS supplier.

 > Actually, this was the "solution".

Proxy-arp should be still consireded as an interim-time solution, you wouldn't
want to get your arp-table too huge.

 > Getting the FreeBSD box to proxy ARP with two interfaces was a nightmarish
 > mess and I sorta had it working, but it would eventually overwrite the
 > information I was asking it to publish.  It simply wasn't designed on a
 > per-interface basis.

IMO, unix is not an router and real routers don't run unix...

Pete