Date:      Fri, 02 Mar 2001 14:29:30 -0800
From:      richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net>
To:        Jon <cpcbuzz@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Panic: not going anywhere without my INIT

--------------EF3C8553F35B5C6860967527

"... it says "Panic: not going anywhere without my INIT" and goes on to
reboot my system."

Not sure what type of system you're installing on.

However, during the boot process the installer is explicitly asked to
review a list of hardware components included in the bootable
mini-kernel used for installation, and to delete any devices which they
do not have, so as to eliminate conflicts.

You also have the ability to edit the IO ports (computerese for the
region of memory used by the CPU and the board, in common, for
communication) and IRQs used by the kernel to talk with the devices it
finds when it loads into memory.

None of this is of any use if you do not have a firm grasp of what
devices (boards, mostly, but sometimes chipsets on those boards; for
instance, many ethernet cards use the same set of chips to implement the
same basic functionality) exist within your computer, or what sort of
buses exist; you know, ISA, PCI, all that alphabet jazz.

To make matters worse, you need to know exactly which IRQs and regions
of memory are in use by which devices; you can probably imagine what
would happen if two devics tried to both use the same IRQ on the same
bus, or the same region of memory; they would be in conflict with one
another and would be constantly overwriting one another's efforts at
functioning.

If you do not have this knowledge you will find installing FreeBSD
unnecessarily difficult.

You can gather much of this information by watching FreeBSD boot, noting
which devices it reports finding at boot time (type 'dmesg | more' to
see what I mean, if you have a working UNIX system at hand), and what
IRQs and regions of memory they report using ... then examine the IRQ
and region of memory your network card is using and look for a conflict.

Sometimes it is expedient to remove the card until after installation;
also, so that the card can be jumpered or configured to use an IRQ and
region of memory which may not be default, but which fall within the
boundaries dictated by other, more important devices' IRQs and such.

Sometimes it's just cheaper to get a better network interface card that
is more flexible.

(On that note, shamelessly exercising a commercial agenda, I will note
that I have a few SMC Ultras, ISA-based cards with jumpers, as God meant
hardware settings to be, and would part with them if there are any
interested parties out there; although it is not explicitly stated, this
sort of network card specific problem is not encountered with PCI- or
PCMCIA-based cards, and so I am inferring that this problem is with an
ISA-based NIC.)

Hope this was helpful ...

-- richard

--
Richard A. Childers
Senor UNIX Administrator

# Providing administrative expertise (not 'damage control') since 1986.
# PGP fingerprint: 7EFF 164A E878 7B04 8E9F  32B6 72C2 D8A2 582C 4AFA

--------------EF3C8553F35B5C6860967527

"... <font face="Arial"><font size=-1>it says "Panic: not going anywhere
without my INIT" and goes on to reboot my system."</font></font>
[...]
difficult.
[...]

4AFA