Date:      Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:37:19 +0000
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@fastmail.fm>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   audio problem - /dev/dsp: op. not supported by device

--ctP54qlpMx3WjD+/

I recently upgraded my system from 4.8-STABLE to 5.1-RELEASE.  I haven't
had any problems except with XMMS.  Randomly XMMS will fail after it
finishes playing a song and before it has started the next - the error
dialog says "Couldn't open audio" in the title bar.  The message that
shows up on the console is:

** WARNING **: oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/dsp):
Operation not supported by device

If I repeatedly hit the play button it will eventually play the next
song.  Sometimes it will play 4 or 5 songs consecutively without a
problem, and other times the problem arises after each song.  I have
tried deinstalling XMMS and then recompiling, but still nothing.  I have
also tried `fstat | grep dsp', but nothing appears to be using the
/dev/dsp.  Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?

Thanks,
Nathan
--=20
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys D8527E49

--ctP54qlpMx3WjD+/

--ctP54qlpMx3WjD+/--