Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 1996 17:35:17 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Switching to Dvorak (was Re: FreeBSD keyboard)

John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu> wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Jul 1996, Branson Matheson wrote:
>
>>  ok... so where does one get a dvorak keyboard?

[Pointers to Dvorak maps for everything, elided]

>I think that covers most environments in common use.

Now that I know someone who has switched, I can ask that all important
question: "Was it really worth it?".  Yes, *really* worth it.  How long did
the switch take you?

I can think of lots of reasons against changing:

1) My fingers are already programmed for qwerty.

2) I don't have control over every keyboard I use, so I still need qwerty.

3) Won't my brain turn liquid and drip out my ears if I switch back and
   forth a lot between the two?

4) I've got no dvorak tutor program.

5) My keytops won't match what they do (unless I get keen with a screwdriver?).

I can think of three positives:

1) I'll probably type faster.

2) I'll probably stress my fingers less.

3) Nobody else will be able to use my machines. :-)

Opinions from any converts appreciated.

Stephen.