Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 15:41:15 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>
To:        mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: swap-related problems

Mikhail Teterin <mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net> wrote:
>That's my point! I advocate the use of some _other_ signal. Something
>catchable.

As soon as you allow a catchable signal, you create a potential
deadlock situation.  See my previous mail.

>In case of "resource shortage" the malloc should be unsuccessful
>and return NULL.

This requires a change to the kernel to disable swap over-commit.
malloc is behaving correctly: it calls brk/sbrk to request additional
memory.  The kernel verifies that the process hasn't exceeded its
resource limits and the brk returns success.

> Instead, right now you may still get a non-NULL
>pointer, but get a SIGKILL when you try to use the rightfully
>allocated memory.

Actually the biggest process gets SIGKILL.  This probably isn't the
process that requested the memory.

Peter