Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 16:04:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        "Ian O'Friel" <Genius@glasgow.crosswinds.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X-Windows

On Fri, 10 Apr 1998, Ian O'Friel wrote:

> Could Anyone give me the addresses for some UNIX/Linux/FreeBSD FAQ's. I am looking for some on the following subjects.
>
> Basic - Usage
> X-Windows
> Setting up a Server
> Making Ports
>
> I am looking for Beginners FAQ's, As I only started using FreeBSD last
> Monday. I have FreeBSD 2.2.5 on a Compaq MediaGX 133. When I try to
> start X-Windows using the startx command it tells mesomething about a
> Mode not being Set and something about ViewPort ?!? Does anyone have
> any ideas.
>
> Can someone tell me how I can subscribe to this list ??

Go to http://www.freebsd.org/

The same place that you got this address is where you learn how to
subscribe to the list.

Regarding the "mode" message; see 'man xf86config' and 'man X' and 'man
XF86Config'. You probably have to run 'xf86config' to tell X which video
card and monito you have.

Have fun,	 | Stop warning me about the latest virus. Learn more...
Jason Wells	 | http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html