Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 16:34:07 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@mail.iowna.com>
To:        "Victor R. Cardona" <vcardona@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: need advise

"Victor R. Cardona" wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am still trying to diagnose mysterious lock ups on a 4.2-STABLE box
> running IPFilter. I am pretty sure that it is a software probleim caused
> by a strange interaction between IPF 3.4.8 and 4.2-STABLE. I am trying
> to rule out hardware conflicts, and perhapstry to narrow down the
> possible causes for the lock-ups before I submit a PR. Does anyone have
> any advise on how I might do that. Also, would submitting a PR even do
> any good considering the total lack of error messages?

Compile both the kernel and IPFilter with debugging symbols. Are you
getting panics? If there are *.core files, use those to analyze the
crash. If not, follow the instructions in the handbook to debug the
crash via serial port. Try running IPFilter in verbose mode if it has
it, possibly it can be compiled with debugging output.
Mainly, gather as much info as possible before submitting a PR, it'll
get things fixed faster.

Good luck,
Bill