Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2017 15:44:50 +0200
From:      Ben RUBSON <ben.rubson@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD-scsi <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Do I need SAS drives?..

> On 09 Aug 2017, at 17:59, Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
> 3) SAS drives have a lot of fancy features that you may not need or
> care about.  For example, (...) their error
> reporting capabilities are more sophisticated than SMART

Really interesting answer Alan, thank  you very much !
Slightly off-topic but I take this opportunity,
how do you check SAS drives health ?
I personally cron a background long test every 2 weeks (using =
smartmontools).
I did not experience SAS drive error yet, so not sure how this behaves.
Does the drive reports to FreeBSD when its read or write error rate =
cross
a threshold (so that we can replace it before it fails) ?
Or perhaps smartd will do ?

As an example below a SAS error counter log returned by smartctl :
    Errors Corrected by          Total   Correction    Gigabytes    =
Total
        ECC         rereads/    errors   algorithm     processed    =
uncorrected
    fast | delayed  rewrites  corrected  invocations  [10^9 bytes]  =
errors
read:   0       49        0        49     233662     73743.588           =
0
write:  0        3        0         3      83996      9118.895           =
0
verify: 0        0        0         0      28712         0.000           =
0

Thank you !

Ben