Date:      Sun, 08 Aug 2010 20:14:58 -0400
From:      Michael Powell <nightrecon@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: helping

Kamil Nowacki wrote:

> installed FreeBSD on VirtualPC but I have a problem with configuring
> Internet dhpc normally gets the ip address and the address of the router
> but when I introduce portsnap fetch HQ to download files I do not want to
> download by failed and when I go back to the configuration of the Internet
> in sysinstall is a ip address 255.255.255.0 and disappears and it is still
> several times reinstalled FreeBSD

[snip]

I do not know anything about VirtualPC, but I have used VirtualBox for some
time and if the two are similar enough what works with VBox may also apply,
with minor variations.

The nominal default install of VirtualBox provides a virtual NAT and DHCP
services to the guest OS. The virtual network card that it is simulating
needs to be known, so the correct network card driver can be selected. In
VirtualBox the default is AMD PCNet FAST III, but one may also select a
variant of Intel PRo/1000 as well. This is the NIC that the guest OS will be
using. Since the driver (em) is included already in the default FreeBSD
kernel a good choice would be the Intel PRO/1000 MT which is simulating an
82540.

In any event, you will need to discover the virtual network card being
presented to the guest OS. The command dmesg may help. An example based on
the above Intel adapter would look like this:

In your /etc/rc.conf file place the following:

ifconfig_em0="DHCP"

That is all you need to do. Replace the "em" part with the driver that
corresponds to the driver required for whichever network interface VirtualPC
is presenting to the guest OS. For example, a very common Realtek 10/100
might look like: ifconfig_rl0="DHCP" - rl is the name of the driver needed
for the Realtek 8139-based family of adapters.

When you boot the guest, it should initialize the adapter via DHCP. What I
do not know is if VirtualPC is providing these NAT and DHCP services to the
guest OS in a manner similar to VirtualBox. If it does this info will work.

-Mike