Date:      Wed, 11 Jan 1995 03:48:37 +0300
From:      "Andrew A. Chernov, Black Mage" <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, "Andrew V. Stesin" <stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua>
Subject:   Re: Localization stuff?

In message <199501102233.AAA23354@office.elvisti.kiev.ua> Andrew V.
    Stesin writes:

>I'm using 1.1.5 and I'm not going to upgrade soon;
>anyway, for my work I need (and not only me) the complete
>localization kit, not only LC_CTYPE, but LC_COLLATE and company,
>too.

Locale scheme changed since 1.x, so you better try 2.x.
With 2.x changes all ctype-oriented programs can easily understands
koi8-r f.e. with only few environment settings.
However, only LC_CTYPE locale still provided.

>In 1.1.5's libc I found only a kind of template for everything
>but LC_CTYPE. I contacted the author of Linux' locale,
>Nickolay Saukh, and he permitted to use his locale kit
>with FreeBSD. But after I've got it, I discovered that
>this package is based on SysV's locale, and is differs
>_much_ from the ideas found in FreeBSD library sources.

IMHO, better way is to keep LC_CTYPE locale in current
(BSD) style, because it more powerful than SysV LC_CTYPE.
And additionly intergate into this scheme LC_COLLATE and
company.

>My questions are:

>	Is the development of the localization kit going on?

No, just adopting of current code.

>	What's the current state of this development?

I describe it in few words above.

>	Whom should I contact?

You can contact me at least.
Maybe wollman@freefall.cdrom.com would be interested to as
first importer of locale code.

--
Andrew A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -