Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 2000 13:43:25 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Janet Sullivan <eliyanah@techie.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape crashes

On Sunday, 24 September 2000 at 13:20:57 -0400, Brandon Fosdick wrote:
> Janet Sullivan wrote:
>>
>>> Turn off javascript and java in the preferences. It has helped
>>> immensely on mine. I've seen this mentioned numerous times in the
>>> past.
>>
>> What if you need to run JAVA applets?  Is there an alternative?
>>
>> Is this a problem with Netscape or FreeBSD?  I ask because the
>> 4.75-Linux version that crashes on FreeBSD is out of the same tarball as
>> the version running on RedHat 6.2 that hasn't crashed once.
>
> Its definately a Netscape problem. Random crashes have been with
> Netscape for so long that if someone fixed it, it wouldn't be Netscape
> anymore. Its almost a tradition now. :)

That's conventional wisdom, anyway.  But I'm wondering if it's
correct.  I've had more problems running Netscape under FreeBSD than I
have under Microsoft.  There's a good chance that it's because I do
more things with Netscape under FreeBSD (like opening many large
windows), whereas I only ever run Microsoft for comparisons.  But the
program is so unbelievably buggy that I wonder if it's not tickling
problems in the system that we can't tickle in any other way.  If
anybody has any evidence of this, I'd be very interested to see it.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.