Date:      Fri, 20 Nov 1998 19:15:09 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Tetsuji Rai <tetsuji@MailAndNews.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: connect LAN and Internet by ppp

Tetsuji Rai wrote:

> Hi, Title says it all.  I'm trying to connect LAN with only 2 machines and
> Internet by ppp like the one noted in Handbook 14.1.2.  But I have some
> problems on it.
>   First of all my configuration is as follows:
>
> [local2] <--ether--> [Local1] <--ppp--> [ISP-serv]
> (10.0.0.2)          (10.0.0.1)
>
> First, I tested with only these two machines without configuring default
> route.  This worked very fine.  Anything works between these machines;
> telnet, nfs, etc...    As a matter of course, Local1 is configured as
> a gateway.  On both machines, correct /etc/resolv.conf is placed.
>
> Second, I set default route on local2, which is Local1 (10.0.0.1).  Then
> most things don't work properly.  eg. telnet from local1 to local2 takes
> time.  telnet or ping doesn't work from local2 to local1.  However, ping
> from local1 to local2 works properly.  When Local1 is connected to ISP
> by ppp, these still don't work.  But anything from local1 to Internet
> work.
>
>   I guess something is missing in my settings.  Does anyone tell me the
> correct settings or what is wrong with mine.  Any help would be appreciated.

These questions should be asked on the freebsd-questions mailing list;
I have forwarded this message there and directed replies there as well.

The short answer is you cannot connect network 10.0.0.0 directly to the
internet; you will need to setup network address translation on your
PPP router in order for this work.  The user-mode PPP utility in FreeBSD
will do this for you, or if you use the kernel-mode 'pppd' you may also
use 'natd' to accomplish this.  If these pointers and the handbook
entries aren't enough to get you up and running, ask more questions on
the questions list.

--
             Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                                     +1.801.915.2061
Softweyr LLC                                                  wes@softweyr.com