Date:      Tue, 09 Aug 2005 22:04:14 -0400
From:      "J. T. Farmer" <jfarmer@goldsword.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ad10: WARNING - READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying	request)	LBA=11441599

Chuck Swiger wrote:

> O. Hartmann wrote:
> [ ... ]
>
>> One of  my SATA disks, the SAMSUNG SP2004C seems to show errors
>> during operation (and also showd under 5.4-RELEASE-p3).
>> Sometimes I get this error:
>> ad10: WARNING - READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=11441599
>> while the machine still keeps working.
>> Other days the box crashes completely.
>>
>> Is this a operating system bug or is this message an evidence of
>> defective hardware?
>
> Back up any data you care about now.  Use the smartmontools port or
> hunt down a utility from Samsung which'll do a surface test (read
> only, nondestructive).
>
> You can also run a "dd if=/dev/ad10 of=/dev/null bs=8192" to do a full
> read test under FreeBSD, and see how many CRC errors show up.

Actually, I would go with the "it's an operating system error."  That's
exactly
the same error quite a few people (myself included) have been reporting
under
5.4 and 5-STABLE.  In my case, I just installed the smartmontools port and
it's reporting that my drive is behaving perfectly.

This is 6.0-Beta?  I have a couple spare drives here (destined to be part of
a RAID array on another machine).  Perhaps after I get rid of some of the
current RL overloads, I will try it on this machine.

John

John T. Farmer            Owner & CTO                GoldSword Systems
jfarmer@goldsword.com     865-691-6498               Knoxville TN
    Consulting, Design, & Development of Networks & Software