Date:      Tue, 15 May 2001 18:29:54 -0700
From:      bmah@FreeBSD.ORG (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        Randy Pratt <rpratt@ezwv.com>, bmah@FreeBSD.ORG, Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-docs@FreeBSD.ORG, Doug Young <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>, Murray Stokely <murray@osd.bsdi.com>, Jim Mock <jim@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Install Preview (was Re: (was) I'm leaving, now something like "anti official docs rant" :) )

--==_Exmh_994176796P

If memory serves me right, Sue Blake wrote:

> One of the things I've always loved about this doc is that people using
> text browsers like lynx get the "picture" too. Most people who use lynx
> do so because they have no alternative (low memory machine or broken X
> config or security restriction on the spare machine, or blind user) and
> it is often so easy to include support for them if only a little
> forethought is given to the task.

Hmmm.  I haven't played with this much, but if Randy uses the FreeBSD
DocProj infrastructure (based on DocBook based on SGML) there's some
facilities for doing graphics with alternate textual representations.  I
think that the few documents that use images (design-44bsd is done of
them) will take advantage of this.  I know they can generate ASCII-only
*.txt files correctly but I am not sure how this comes across in HTML.

> In that respect you've done very well, Randy. It would be a shame if
> those people lost their text "pictures" due to the demands of progress,
> but I guess that's gotta happen one day.

I sure hope it doesn't.  Keeping Web pages accessible to non-traditional
browsers is a Good Thing (TM).

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_994176796P

--==_Exmh_994176796P--