Date:      Sun, 13 Oct 2002 21:16:04 -0700
From:      Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Makoto Matsushita <matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Old port recompiles needed (Re: Unknown symbol "__sF")

* De: Makoto Matsushita <matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org> [ Data: 2002-10-13 ]
	[ Subjecte: Re: HEADS UP: Old port recompiles needed (Re: Unknown symbol "__sF") ]

> carl> 3.4 hours is a lot of time on a dial-up connection (granted it
> carl> is not a one size fits all period of time).
>
> You forget that you still compressed image with about 30 hours (at
> least, full 1 day or more), and it is not helpful for ordinal users,
> not you.
>
> Again, reducing hours/percentages with compressed image doesn't
> matter; please focus total download time which is actually needed for
> all users.  Missing the point is not helpful for the discussion.

I've done recent FreeBSD installs over 14.4k modems.  The trick is to
do a network install over ppp.  If one needs to do multiple local
installs, then bootstrapping one box this way is best, then slowly
pull things over cvsup(1), and build one release locally.  Less error-
prone to do things this way.
--
Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>       | FreeBSD: The Power To Serve
Will break world for fulltime employment. | finger jmallett@FreeBSD.org