Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 1996 11:26:44 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@mcs.net>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Food for thought

> CVS tree takes an extra 250M of hard disk.  That's still $50 worth of
> hard disk, but you have to buy it in $200-$300 chunks, which can be
> hard for people.  Or run the risk of the used market...
>
> That said, I recently bought more disk (a Jaz drive), and have been
> very happy with CTM of CVS.  I've not had any make worlds fail since
> I've moved over to that which weren't the result of disk full
> failures.
>
> If you are going to play the -current game, you need at least 2.0G of
> disk available.  700M for CVS + source + obj and 1.3 to do your real
> work on :-)  IMHO, of course.
>
> One thing I really *LIKE* about OpenBSD's anoncvs is that you can grab
> a *SUBSET* of the tree and not have to pay the price of having both
> the CVS tree and the whole source tree online.  If someone were really
> upset about the current build situation, purhaps their energies might
> be better spent setting up an experimental anoncvs server fed off a
> ctm maintained CVS tree so that the FreeBSD community might benefit
> from that.
>
> Just some random thoughts...
>
> Warner

A full build tree for FreeBSD + the Ports collection requires approximately
8G of space, including the working set of files and enough room for a "make
release".

If you're building systems which you wish to be able to distribute files for
(ie: you have a custom environment and want local repositories for all of
it) this is what you need as of today.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1 from $600 monthly; speeds to DS-3 available
			     | 23 Chicagoland Prefixes, 13 ISDN, much more
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| Email to "info@mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net/
Fax:   [+1 312 248-9865]     | Home of Chicago's only FULL Clarinet feed!