Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 08:17:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        "J.G. Holstein" <j.holstein@hccnet.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd on IBM

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, J.G. Holstein wrote:

> Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 10:34:21 +0100
> From: J.G. Holstein <j.holstein@hccnet.nl>
> To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: freebsd on IBM
>
> Hello,
>

> My question is that I have a IBM R30 thinkpad is it posible to install FreeBSD on this machine.
>
> Video card  = trident cyberblade
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Johan Holstein

I've installed free- and open-bsd on a couple Thinkpads. FWIW FreeBSD runs
like a charm on my 600e - if I didn't require qin4lin I'd be running it
instead of Linux.

It should install ok - remember that the XFree86 setup is almost identical
with Linux and FreeBSD on laptops - if you can't find a HOWTO on how to
setup your video card seek out a linux-for-laptops page (there are lots)
and use its XFRee86 section as a guide.

And don't expect the onboard winmodem to work without some *serious*
hacking. It will work, but only after a lot of effort as I understand it.
If you have onboard 10/100 ethernet it should work fine.

|-John Bleichert----syborg@stny.rr.com----------------|
|-------------------http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg--|