Date:      Fri, 05 Jan 2001 15:20:07 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@mail.iowna.com>
To:        Artem Koutchine <matrix@ipform.ru>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Antisniffer measures (digest of posts)

Artem Koutchine wrote:

> Well, let me remind the situtation. I have a very heterogenic network:
> FreeBSD, Linux, Win9x, WinME, WInNT, WIn2000. Now they are all
> connected with hubs, which allows sniffer to run and obtain all the mail
> and web password easily. I need to stop it.

If you want to replace hubs with switches, you're going to need to
replace EVERY ONE! I don't know how many that is for you.

If it's only POP3 & HTML passwords you're worried about, why not switch
your mail server to a secure auth protocol. I think APOP does this (not
sure) and use HTTPS on any web pages that have passwords?

-Bill