Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 01:12:56 -0500
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@mu.org>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Doug Hass <dhass@imagestream.com>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>, Jim Bryant <kc5vdj@yahoo.com>, MurrayTaylor <taylorm@bytecraft.au.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FYI

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 10:51:25PM -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> When we have a choice, we take the BSD code and improve it as necessary.
> Otherwise, we take what we can get.  Sometimes, even, companies that release
> the stuff
> closed source end up opening it up when they see that by doing so that lots
> more people will contribute bugfixes and such.

you say 'we' an awful lot for someone who isn't part of, doesn't represent,
and is in no way affiliated with the freebsd project.

thankfully, the project's official word can be found here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/policies-encumbered.html

--
- bill fumerola / fumerola@yahoo-inc.com / billf@FreeBSD.org / billf@mu.org
- my anger management counselor can beat up your self-affirmation therapist