Date:      Sun, 16 Oct 2005 15:48:11 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "P.U.Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>
To:        dick hoogendijk <dick@nagual.st>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.0 release date and stability

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005, dick hoogendijk wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 23:03:53 -0400
> "Joshua Coombs" <jcoombs@gwi.net> wrote:
>
>> For what it's worth, on UP, my 386 (stop laughing) is showing twice
>> the inbound and outbound tcp throughput across multiple apps compared
>> to 4.11.  Disk throughput is slightly higher, but nothing super
>> impressive.  If 6.0 can show gains on a 386, that tells me there is
>> some actual merit to the changes.
>
> The news I read about fFreeBSD-6.0 is quit good lately. I might even
> upgrade my 5.4 box. I'm told it will be a rather smooth proces.
For my private Desktop machine I didn't run into any problems -
and I am no kind of FreeBSD guru.

> The *ONLY* question is: will I need to *recompile* all installed ports
> if I go from 5.4 to 6.0 release?
Probably not, but there are about 13000 (or so) ports available.
I guess you will have to try and find out.
You should be cautious if you depend on OpenOffice.org , this
stuff is always quite sensitive, though I have got 2.0Beta
running very well.

Regards,

Uli.