Date:      Sun, 12 Dec 1999 12:32:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Marc Wandschneider <marcw@lanfear.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: Where'd my shared lib go?

On 12-Dec-99 Marc Wandschneider wrote:

>       So, I recently build giflib-4.0.1 on my machine.  I ran
>
>       ./configure --enable-shared
>
>       to ensure shared libs are built, and sure enough, libgif.so.5.0 was
built
> and installed to /usr/local/lib. A symlink from libgif.so was also put.

What version of FreeBSD are you using?  If it is 3.0 or later, then you are
using ELF libraries, which don't use a minor version number.  In that case, you
should have a file named libgif.so.5 instead of libgif.so.5.0.  A bigger
question is why you aren't using hte ports system to do this.  The ports system
goes ahead and handles all the issues like this.  If you have the ports system
installed, then installing giflib is this easy:

# cd /usr/ports/graphics/giflib
# make all install

This will download the source, build it along with any dependencies it needs,
and install it for you.  It will also run ldconfig for you to make sure you can
use the new library right away.

If you don't have the ports system installed, you can install it either using
cvsup(1) (see the Handbook) or from /stand/sysinstall -> Configure
-> Distributions -> Ports