Date:      Tue, 4 May 1999 17:18:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jorge Aldana <jorge@salk.edu>
To:        Mike Uttech <mike@negativezero.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.1 remote reboot exploit (fwd)

So, rebooting when a machine is overloaded is not a problem?

It seems (from the current and past questions to security and questions
mail lists) that something is going on with this. Just because we can't
solve it doesn't mean its not there, mysterious re-boots seem to be
occuring at my site off and on. As soon as we up the debuging nothing
happens (this alone changes a variable within the system), as most sites
and people I've talked to we lack time, from debuging and actually keeping
the systems running. I have seen too many variables in determining what
caused a system to crash and repeating a case never has resulted in a
reproduction of said problem.

It seems from the responses that this is an acceptable symptom of FreeBSD
3.1 (release and stable)?

From my logs, machines have stayed up since FreeBSD 3.1 Stable was
installed (19990303) and others have rebooted the next day and all
combinations in between (but none are consistent).

It may or may not help but that has been my experince.

Jorge