Date:      Wed, 6 Feb 2002 00:21:23 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Andrew McKay <andy@openirc.co.uk>
To:        Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@bsd.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/34038

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Szilveszter Adam wrote:

SA>  I think we have a misunderstanding here. I think that the Handbook ver=
SA>  much has info on upgrading, although it probably could be improved. Bu=
SA>  this article does not add much to what is already in the Handbook.

It adds a coherent methodolody in one defined place.  If someone were to
come to you and ask 'I've been running FreeBSD 2.x.x for a while now
and I feel like upgrading to -STABLE...how do I do it?' would you rather
say 'read these 10 chapters of the handbook...they all contain bits of
relevant information' or would you rather say 'read the article which
describes exactly how to do this?'  As a person who might once have asked
such a question I know which answer I would rather have received.

SA>  Of course it is nice that you have it now in one article instead of
SA>  all over the Handbook, but it is still IMHO duplication.

It's duplication but of a specific kind which is not only tolerated but
encouraged by the FDP.  The Handbook exists as an OS-specific set of
instructions on Installing, Configuring and Maintaining FreeBSD.  The
articles exist as a HowTo-style set of task-specific instructions to
enable people to get a job done when they know what they want to do but
don't necessarily know what will be involved in doing that task.
Straight duplication would be if someone took a chapter of the handbook
(i.e.  sound) padded it out with a few inane phrases and passed it off as
an article.  If anyone did this I have no doubt they would be verbally
crucified before they could say 'ooops'.

SA>  That is why it is IMHO better idea to just patch the
SA>  existing Handbook...

If the information in the Handbook is wrong or deficient then by all means
point this out and someone will endeavour to correct and/or enhance it.
This does not mean that we should stop writing articles purely because the
contents of the article are available as small parts of ten chapters of
the handbook.

I personally don't see these complaints as valid but obviously you do.
Please bear in mind that not everyone has the same knowledge as you and
not everyone approaches problems in the same way that you do.  Some will
prefer the handbook and some will prefer articles.  The existence of one
group need not be to the detriment of the other.

Just my =A30.02

--=20
Andrew McKay <andy@openirc.co.uk>