Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 00:58:54 +0100
From:      "Mark Hughes" <mark@dvdnews.co.uk>
To:        "Jonathan M. Slivko" <jonathan.slivko@lotuscom.net>, "rootman" <rootman@xmission.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Justification for using FreeBSD

> NT (4 and 2000) both require a huge proccessing power investment with alot
> of RAM and alot of other hardware thrown into it. However, on the other
> hand, FreeBSD will run perfectly (or at least in working order) on 8MB of
> RAM. If you wanted to point out that FreeBSD is *free* and that NT needs a
> license for each copy that your running, including upgrades, etc. Also, NT
> isn't built as rock solid as everyone thinks, it *can* be demolished
> totally.

Given though, that he obviously already has the licence for MS IIS and NT, and the
computer to run them on....

I'd be looking at things like stability (as you've mentioned), number of concurrent users
possible to support on the two architechtures (if that is an issue). Scripting languages
like PHP and Perl are easier to run (and IMO learn/use when compared to ASP) on
Apache/Unix.

As to justifying using TWO web servers, one of each, that's more difficult. Apache is
easier to integrate with database information from either platform, whereas I assume (but
don't know I have to admit) IIS only integrates well with MS products....so if you need to
integrate with maybe an access database on one side and a MySQL one on the other that
could possibly justify running two....still, justifying running two is not something I'd
like to do, not an easy task.

I presume from what you've said that it's a case of both or just NT, not a possible
changeover to just FreeBSD/Apache - which would probably be easier to justify than running
the both.

HTH
Mark