Date:      Mon, 9 Oct 2000 13:58:19 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        attila! <attila@hun.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
Subject:   Re: POSTFIX-- Wietse: tweak and go! --pkg & port: both duds

At 9:22 PM +0000 2000/10/8, attila! wrote:

>      I look at 'snapshots' philosophically; if I willingly track
>      FreeBSD-5.0-current, I am obviously accustomed to the risks
>      therein.

	Understood.  I just wanted to point out the philosophical
differences from the postfix perspective, and thought that it was
important that this be made explicit.

>      20001001 is the most current which Wietse is now running and
>      stating that it is 'production quality'. Obviously, I will
>      port 20001001 this afternoon!

	No, 20001005 is the latest snapshot I know of, and appears to be
what Wietse is running himself:

$ telnet spike.porcupine.org. 25
Trying 168.100.189.2...
Connected to spike.porcupine.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 spike.porcupine.org ESMTP Postfix (Snapshot-20001005)
quit
221 Bye
Connection closed by foreign host.

	However, I would not be too surprised if what he was running is
actually slightly later than this (i.e., another snapshot in
progress), and it just identifies itself as Snapshot-20001005.

>      Why not consider the use of the mysql interface which
>      provides dynamic aliasing?

	The machines where I run this code don't strictly need a MySQL
interface for aliases.  Although we do keep our internal aliases in a
MySQL database, I do not believe that it is in a format that would be
suitable for use with postfix, and therefore I'd have to create yet
another MySQL database that *was* in the proper format.  This would
likely lead to synchronization problems, etc....

Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>                || Belgacom Skynet SA/NV
Systems Architect, Mail/News/FTP/Proxy Admin || Rue Colonel Bourg, 124
Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.13.11/12.49             || B-1140 Brussels
http://www.skynet.be                         || Belgium