Date:      Mon, 2 Aug 1999 12:15:38 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        bitter@noah.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need comparative data

Hi,

> 	Newbie Q:"What's the difference between Linux and FreeBSD?"

In reality, not all that much in terms of administration.  Linux has more
of a SysV style init whereas FreeBSD has a, not surprisingly, BSD style
init.  The important differences depend on what you want to do (ie, will
you be doing heavy SMP, heavy network etc).

> As far as administration and support goes I think it's clear that
> Linux has a big advantage. Many packages (like Apache and Squid) come
> prebuilt in RPM format. Also Linux seems to have good Java support.

Really?  Geez, I guess the 2500 or so pieces of software in the FreeBSD
ports and packages collection (including Apache and Squid) don't count?
FreeBSD also has plenty of Java support (see the java ports) including
jdk.

> One thing I keep reading is that "Linux and FreeBSD are really more
> alike than they are different." If that is true than can someone give
> me one reason why I should use FreeBSD? If all the support and
> momentum is with Linux then why risk going with FreeBSD?

According to a Gartner group study (who has moved this article to the pay
portion of their site) and my own seat of the pants feelings, FreeBSD
works much better at high loads than Linux.  There are a number or big
servers that use FreeBSD:

	ftp.cdrom.com - transferring > 1TB per day from a single machine
	Yahoo!
	hotmail - uses FreeBSD to provide all of the web front end

There are lots of others.

Brett
Brett Taylor            brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu *
                        brett@daemonnews.org              *