Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 2000 15:05:40 +0200 (METDST)
From:      hm@hcs.de (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        arg@arg1.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gordon)
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org, garyj@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AVM PCI card interfering with other devices on bus

From the keyboard of Andrew Gordon:

> The card identifies as:
>
> ifpi0: <AVM Fritz!Card PCI> port0xff80-0xff9f mem 0xffbeec00-0xffbeec1f irq 11 at device 17.0 on pci0
> ifpi0: ISAC 2085 Version A1/A2 or 2086/2186 Version 1.1 (IOM-2)
>
> The i4b setup itself appears to work perfectly, but whenever i4b is active
> (running ppp over rbch) on one channel, voice calls on the other channel
> (made using an AVM Fritz!X PBX) get severely corrupted in the "Tx"
> direction - I can hear the person at the other end perfectly, but my voice
> is heavily corrupted so that they can't make out what I am saying. The
> effect is slightly intermittent: occasionally I will get a good call,
> sometimes it's only slightly corrupt, but in each case when I get a bad
> call I can fix it instantly (ie. while the caller is still on the line)
> by killing the PPP connection, or by simply unplugging the PC from the
> ISDN bus.
> [...]
> This has to be some kind of timing problem on the S-bus, but I don't see
> why the ISAC should be different on these cards than any other.
>
> The ISIC is labelled:
>
>   Infineon
>   PSB2186
>   V1.1

I doubt its the ISAC. I'm almost shure when this works on a Teles 16.3
that its not the ISAC because the code handling the ISAC for this two
cards is nearly identical.

I'm quite shure its in the code handling AVM's ASIC which drives the
B-channel. On the Teles 16.3 this is a HSCX chip but on the AVM PCI
and PnP this is an AVM-special ASIC which is all but well documented
and requires an NDA from AVM to get docs. AFAIK, Gary Jennejohn and
Udo Schweigert signed such an NDA just to get not much from AVM.

Please talk to Gary Jennejohn (garyj@freebsd.org) about this as he is
the author of the AVM PCI driver and might be interested in this
phenomenon ;-)

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                                    Tel   +49 40 55 97 47-70
HCS Hanseatischer Computerservice GmbH                Fax   +49 40 55 97 47-77