Date:      Sat, 10 Jun 2000 05:57:53 -0500
From:      "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
To:        "clemensF" <ino-waiting@gmx.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <root@spotteswoode.de>
Subject:   RE: which freebsd [345] to use?

What is your profile?  Are you talking about the kind of computer you have?
Also, I am assuming you have FreeBSD 2.2.8, I don't remember a 2.8.8.  :)

Personally I prefer 3.4.  I run 4.0 when I have to for hardware reasons.
4.0 has a new and very much improved IDE disk driver.  I am still running
2.1.5 on one of my machines because it supports my old Future Domain SCSI
controller.  (I am told that 4.0 will support it someday, but we'll just
have to see about that.)

You will find that both 3.4 and 4.0 are a little more resource hungry than
2.2.8.  Either one would be a good choice.  The future is in the 4.x branch,
so if you're going to upgrade you might as well go with 4.0.

5.0 is the new development branch.  AFAIK you probably don't want to try to
install it.

Josh