Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 1996 01:29:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Faried Nawaz <fn@uidaho.edu>
To:        meditation@gnu.ai.mit.edu
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, hungry@hungry.com
Subject:   scheme-extensible nfs.

 From: lord@emf.emf.net (Tom Lord)
 Subject: SNFS -- Scheme-extensible NFS
 Newsgroups: comp.lang.scheme
 Date: 20 Oct 1996 22:46:40 GMT

Because of the number of requests I've received for SNFS, the
Scheme-extensible NFS server for Linux, I have decided to release a
snapshot of the source code.

Warning: This is snapshot-quality work.  The manuals are incomplete so
you will probably have to read both C and Scheme source code.  You may
find areas that are clearly "not done" even though I believe that the
system is useful as it stands.   This system is only known to work on
Linux though who knows -- it may be portable elsewhere.

Included in this release are:

Systas Scheme: yet another Scheme interpreter derived from SCM.
  Systas Scheme is close to GNU Guile and some of us have been talking
  about ways to merge the two back into a single implementation.

  With Systas Scheme, you get both a C library, and a stand-alone
  interpreter.

SNFS: a Linux user-space NFS server, modified so that it can be extended
  by writing Systas Scheme programs.   Any file system trick you can
  perform with the GNU Hurd you should be able to perform with SNFS
  (although the Hurd should provide much better performance for user-space
  file systems).

Various Scheme and C Libraries:  included are

	Rx -- fast Posix pattern matching
	net -- Scheme code for ftp and pop3 clients
	lang -- Scheme code for lexical analyzers
	 	and shift-reduce parsing
	goonix -- Scheme code for managing processes

Systas Scheme has features like:

	shared substrings -- a data structure that can help
		cut down on the amount of string-copying
		that Scheme programs do

	unix -- most of the Posix-specified system calls
		and many other libc functions are available
		from Systas Scheme

	pretty good performance -- SCM has many great performance
		characteristics (throughput, load-and-go latency,
		footprint) which Systas Scheme inherits

	cool non-hygenic macro system -- they may or may not be
		semantically ugly, but the low-level macros
		Systas inherits from SCM can do neat tricks

	modules -- we got fancy ones.  Included is an Emacs lisp
		file to help make interactive programming
		with modules fun and easy.

The sources are available by anonymous FTP from:

	emf.net:users/lord/systas-1.1.tar.gz