Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 12:56:58 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        FreeBSD@jovi.net
Cc:        cjc@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/33904: secure mode bug

FreeBSD@jovi.net wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
> I suggest escalating the trouble.
> Correct time is mission-critical on many systems

Agreed.

> and this is an issue of unreliable service under FreeBSD.

Disagree: FreeBSD is ensuring the correctness of the time by
disallowing a delta which is so large as to be useful to
someone attempting to hack date stamps on files.

If you want to "reliably" change the time by a large delta,
then there are only three valid circumstances in which this
should be done:

1)	Initial installation of a system (in which case you
	have control over it to the level of being able to
	not set the secure mode up before you have made the
	adjustment).

2)	You are the Pope, and you are changing the calendar
	again (I'd be happy to fix it for you, your eminence,
	particularly if I can let it be known you use FreeBSD).

3)	You just got back from a relatavistic flight that
	resulted in the on board computer in your space
	ship (I will fix it for free for you, if I am
	allowed to do it on site, and take the vehicle out
	for a spin afterwards, to verify that the large
	delats are now allowed, when necessary).

> A settimeofday other than that programmed is worse than doing nothing.

Particularly if you are trying to hack someone...

> Three orders of magnitude is a complete failure by every reasonable
> standard.  Breaking date, ntpdate, ntpd, ... is a reliable indication
> of severe failure. These programs now need rewriting to operate reliably.

I guess you've never used NTP when the drift exceeds an hour
or so, without having intentially set your security mode to
disable changes over one second?

The change is refused if the delta exceeds a maximum delta
time, as being "unreasonable" by the NTP code itself, and
you have to manually synchronize the clock to get it "in
the neighborhood" in the first place before it will start
working again.

-- Terry