Date:      Tue, 02 Jul 2013 14:12:37 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sleepycat db VS MySQL or postgres

------enig2RNDVDTSCXTTRRNDUHTCL

On 02/07/2013 13:55, Mark Felder wrote:

> If twitter was built upon a WORM database instead of MySQL they could
> host the entirety of twitter on a handful of servers instead of the
> gross MySQL+Cassandra mess they're fighting with today.

I'd say their problem is not exactly solvable by only choosing a database=
 :D
They, like Facebook, have the problem of "fanout", where a single piece
of data goes into thousands of different user pages. Whatever they save
in the raw data access operations will probably be relatively small
compared to the horsepower needed to combine pages from all these
fleeting data pieces.

But yes, obviously a database designed specifically for one thing will
be optimized for that thing.