Date:      Sat, 31 Jan 1998 10:10:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        freebsd-ports
Subject:   Re: ports/5607: NEW PORT: timidity-luigi [category audio]

The following reply was made to PR ports/5607; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To: dburr@POBoxes.com
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 17:29:50 +0100 (MET)

 > >Synopsis:       NEW PORT: timidity-luigi [category audio]
 > Built on a 2.2.5 system, but should work with any modern FreeBSD release.
 > Requires Luigi Rizzo's new sound drivers.

 sorry, but I don't like the idea of having both "appx" and "appx-luigi".
 There should be only one version, able to work with both driver. When I
 supply modified modules, it's  either because the original ones were
 buggy, or because i exploit some peculiarity of the new driver. In
 either case, the same audio module should be written to work with both
 drivers (if I havent' done this it's because I have only so much time).
 How ? Put in the audio module the following:

 #include <machine/soundcard.h>
     int i = -1 ;	/* fali by default */
 #if defined(AIOGFMT)	/* this is only defined in my driver */
     snd_chan_param s;
     i = ioctl( audiofd, AIOGFMT, &s );
     if (i != -1 ) {
 	... do things for the new driver
     } else
 #endif
     {
 	...do things for the old driver
     }

 the above should compile and/or run with either driver.

 	Cheers
 	Luigi