Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2000 05:31:40 -0500
From:      Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        rsowders@usgs.gov, Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>, FreeBSD-stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ssh port broken?

Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> n recent FreeBSD releases, sshd is enabled by default.

This is not good.  All services should be disabled out of the box.  IMO,
there should be a prompt on install asking the installer if (s)he would
like sshd enabled.  Also, portmap, inetd, and sendmail should be set to
"NO", unless the user specifically asks for it (at least in
/etc/defaults/rc.conf anyways).  Of course, almost all server admins
would want at least one of these running.  I think ALL network services
should be disabled, and leave it up to the sysadmin to enable what he
needs after the install has been complete.

Just my 2 cts (although no one asked me).  When I re-installed 4.2, I
noticed sshd was enabled by default.  I definitely didn't want sshd
running.  Although it's possible to disable these daemons post-install,
I think *additive* rather than *subtractive* configuring of network
daemons is the safest bet.

I'm going to draw some flames in this one, for sure.

- Donn