Date:      Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:51:42 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        infofarmer@mail.ru
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mount a tar archive?

Andrew P. wrote:
> I have a 80G tar archive which I have nowhere to
> extract to. Could I mount it as a filesystem?
> Read-only would suffice.

That's actually a pretty neat idea, although I don't know that such a
capability is available.  Hmm.  Emacs has a special mode for accessing the
contents of a tarball which might be helpful in other circumstances, but I
suspect that an 80GB file is going to be too big for it to handle.

In the meantime, you might be able to use "tar tf" to see the contents of this
monster tarball, and you could then extract smaller pieces from it if need be,
rather than having to deal with the entire thing all at once.

--
-Chuck