Date:      Thu, 17 May 2001 07:03:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fun stuff

On Thu, 17 May 2001, Jason Andresen wrote:

:Jamie Bowden wrote:
:>
:> I'd just like to say thanks guys.  I've got my laptop doing s-video out to
:> my Pinnacle Systems Studio PCTV Pro PCI card (Conexant Fusion 878a (aka
:> bt878)) and it's working very nicely with fxtv.  I had to force the tuner
:> to Temic in my config file, which wasn't a big deal.  This thing has a
:> stereo FM tuner on it as well.  Anyone know of any way to make it work?
:>
:> If anyone is interested, the Studio PCTV PCI (non Pro) is the same card,
:> except it uses a phillips tuner and lacks FM Stereo.  It can also be found
:> for less than $50 US.  The Pro version that I have was $90 US.
:>
:> Does vic plug into the bktr driver?  I'm looking for an mbone feed, and
:> being able to send video would be kind of neat.
:
:Yes.  I've used vic to broadcast TV signals around my house (just for
:the heck of it :)
:
:How good is the picture quality from the PCTV?  I've noticed my WinTV98
:card amplifies any noise in the line (thank you crappy wiring!) giving
:me distinctive interference patterns on some channels and vertical gray
:lines in others.  All in all I'm kinda disappointed.

I've only used it with my camcorder (Sony CCD TRV67) and my laptop.  Both
s-video and composite work fine.  Picture quality is clean from those
inputs.

If Cox in Fairfax, VA (formerly Media General) didn't use a two wire
coaxial system, I'd have split off a segment and tested the tuner as well.
Actually, I haved used the tuner.  I plugged my Atari Jaguar into it.
Quality was fine there as well, but that's only a single channel (3).

For the price, these are nice cards.  The Pro comes with a remote control
as well that I forgot to mention.  It's kind of neat; there's an IR sensor
that plugs into a db9 serial port, and the remote sends to that.  It uses
a seperate app in Windows to recieve the signals and direct them to the
app.  It also has a twain driver in Windows, which is nice.  I've used
Photoshop to grab a frame, thinks it's talking to a scanner.

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"