Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 2020 10:22:37 -0400
From:      "James B. Byrne" <byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Shell

On Tue, June 30, 2020 05:43, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> 	Traditionally root ran /bin/csh and toor ran /bin/sh to keep both
> BSD and AT&T trained sysadmins happy, it really doesn't matter what login
> shell root uses . . .

With the caveat that if you change root's shell to something that may not
reliably exist on your host, say bash, then if you reboot when it is gone you
are in for a nasty surprise.

If I need to use root interactively then I 'su' and then run whatever shell I
prefer, usually 'bash -l'.

James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB@Harte-Lyne.ca
Canada  L8E 3C3