Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 09:15:22 -0600
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net>
Cc:        bcohen@bpecreative.com, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Firewall vs. Black Ice

I watch "The Screensavers" on TechTV quite often, and they always
recommend the Linksys DSL/Cable Home Firewall. When I see this, I always
have to laugh, because it's $160-180, and it's probably not too
configurable (lest the do-it-yourselfer, who doesn't know what he's
doing, break it).

My idea of an effective and cost-effective choke point is an old P-100
with no hard drive or video, running PicoBSD from a single floppy. I
configure it to keep-state on all connections originating inside my
personal network, allow state-matching packets back in, and drop any
other connection originating in the outside world except 22, 25 and 80,
which are forwarded to my desktop.

Not counting my time and the diskette, the whole machine cost me $100,
and I now have a spare hard disk and video card. The two NICs were
cheap, $15 each, so we're talking $130, which is cheaper than the
Linksys product, it is more configurable, and I'll bet more reliable.

--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx