Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 1998 00:20:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dmitry Kohmanyuk <dk@dog.farm.org>
To:        pjchilds@imforei.apana.org.au (Peter Childs)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pptp

In article <199801010909.TAA19362@al.imforei.apana.org.au> you wrote:
> In article <34833C08.5B230D62@intcomm.net> you wrote:
> > If anyone has any suggestions or ideas the following:

>  Does it specifically have to be PPTP?  I have used ppp (ijppp) over
>  tcp/ip before so that one server appeared on another's local
>  network via the internet.  Pretty interesting stuff (see
>  the ijppp manual if you find it).

ppp over tcp indeed works, but the performance and stability is pretty
bad.  the delay on your `physical' link and especially packet loss
on it can render tunnelled ppp link pretty unusable.

>  I've seen a tunneling implementation over IP using the tun devices
>  as well (without the other stuff in ijppp) that Mark Newton
>  wrote (newton@dotat.org)

I have used (hacked) ip-in-ip implementation available as
with great success (compatible with cisco routers, too.)

is there anybody else interested in ip tunneling protocols ?

--
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo.