Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 2002 10:15:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to see files in user home directory

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Joe & Fhe Barbish wrote:

> Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 09:27:23 -0500
> From: Joe & Fhe Barbish <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
> To: FBSDQ <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
> Subject: How to see files in user home directory
>
> Created user using adduser taking all the defaults.
> When logged in user can not see his .files with ls command.
>
> Is this normal?
>
> User needs to see .forward file. How to change so users can see .files?

If 'ls -a' doesn't show the user's hidden files (starting with a '.') then
they don't exist. FBSD comes delivered with extremely stripped new user
defaults which definately don't include .forward files.

I think it is expected that any sysadmin would want to set up the skel
directory manually. The skel directory is the skeleton used as a reference
in creating new user accounts. Off the top of my head I can't remember
where it is in FBSD - /etc/skel ? See the adduser man page.

HTH - JB

|-John Bleichert----syborg@stny.rr.com----------------|
|-------------------http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg--|