Date:      Sat, 26 Sep 1998 16:22:38 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrade documentation (Was: Re: Make world error on -current elf)

John Birrell wrote:

> Studded wrote:
> > Even if you don't want the masses updating
> > right now, at *some* point in the future we want people to migrate from
> > 2.2 to 3.x, so it's important to shake out the documentation too. :) You
>
> I hope the masses won't be using a source level upgrade. I assume that
> people will be able to take a 3.0-RELEASE CD and upgrade an installed
> system like they have in the past.

	I administer several systems that are 600 miles away, one that's 2,000.
Source upgrades are the only path for me, and I know there's a lot of
others in the same boat.

> > 1.Update your source tree and mount this as /usr/src.
> >       By "update" I assume that you mean install the 3.0 sources?
>
> I guess this needs a link to the CVSup instructions. It's not specifically
> the 3.0 sources, but the HEAD cvs tag.

	Thanks for the clarification. At some point though, if I want
3.0-Release it will be a different tag, yes? I'm guessing something like
RELENG_3_0.

> > 3.Remove any custom options from /etc/make.conf.
> >       Some examples here would be great. For instance, NOPERL is bad, but is
> > NOSUIDPERL ok?  I'm assuming that standard things like CFLAGS= -O -pipe
> > are ok, yes? It's important to make this clear not only to avoid
> > mistakes in the initial conversion, but also so that people will know
> > what's ok to use after the conversion is done. You might also toss in a
> > warning about make world command line options. IIRC NOCLEAN is the one
> > that's bitten most people, but I almost always include -DCLOBBER in my
> > world builds, is this going to be good/bad/indifferent?
>
> There are too many combinations, so testing is a nightmare. Most of those
> options are for experienced current users - they shouldn't be used by
> people who need to read documentation like this. I guess there is no
> other place where those words exist, but I don't think they belong here.

	The problem is, within the next X months, 3.0 isn't going to be
-Current anymore, it's going to be the mainstream. IMO we need to start
planning for this change, oh, 6 months ago or so. :)

	If I can digress for a moment, this is actually a much bigger paradigm
shift than most people are realizing it seems. For years now, the 3.0
branch (and I mean that specifically, as opposed to the more nebulous
idea of "-Current") has been the exclusive domain of the "elite" group
of hackers who could stomach its idiosyncracies. In a sense, it's become
a sort of "home" to those who have used it and nursed it along lovingly.
Anyone who couldn't handle the stress/demands of running -Current could
easily be booted out the door without sympathy. With the advent of
3.0-Release, there will be a thundering herd of folks coming into the
3.0 branch, mucking around with stuff, trampling the tulips, etc.

	I've already seen some of the resentment, bad feelings, etc. associated
with this kind of shift appearing on the lists, and I expect more to
come. BTW, this is one of the reasons I suggested branching off -Current
when the beta period started, to help ease the time of transition by
giving the present denizens of 3.0 a new home.

	I'm sure a lot of people reading this will probably think I'm full of
it, but I offer it as something for you to consider. Especially if
you've been feeling some unfocused anger or aggression related to the
changes, this might help you put a finger on it. :)

> >       Some details on *exactly* what to change related to ldconfig would also
> > be good. Is all the requisite information in the new rc* scripts?  Do I
> > need to do more than install the new stuff? I understand the objective
> > from what you've written, I just don't understand how to get there.
>
> I've added a few more words about that. I'm trying to avoid quoting slabs
> of script code.

	Thank you.

Doug