Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 2000 23:05:32 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Ross A Lippert <ripper@plato.nmia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape in B&W

Ross A Lippert wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> I have installed freebsd on a couple machines now.  On one, netscape
> comes up black and white and on the other it is in color (before you
> ask, both machine do have color monitors).  I thought I went through
> the same steps (you know, cd ports make make install, etc).

The first obvious question would be "Does everything ELSE in X come up in
colour on the other machine?"  Perhaps when you set up XFree86 you
selected the Mono server instead of VGA16 or SVGA, etc.  It is also
usually possible (though not recommended!) to set a colour depth of '2'
for your X server, which would closely resemble black and white :-)

The next obvious question would be "Is it truly black and white (you would
see lots of dithering--looking really grainy), or is it greyscale (smooth
transitions between dark to light)"?

The last obvious question would be "Is the video card known good?  Have
you successfully tried it with other installs before?"

If none of these questions traverse any uncharted thoughts in your mind,
perhaps you could tell us exactly what hardware (in particular, the video)
that is installed on the problem machine, and the output from a 'startx'
session.  (run `script startx`).  Also of interest would be whether
straight consoles (80x25) ever output colours.

Virtually yours,
- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2