Date:      Fri, 8 Feb 2002 06:43:46 -0500
From:      stan <stanb@awod.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sender domain for mail does not exist

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 08:00:59AM +0100, Kjell wrote:

> When I fill in the web mail form on the domain galeriadebahia.com which lives
> on my server named syv.la3sg.net I receive the following message:
> Date sent: ? ? ?????????Sun, 3 Feb 2002 13:02:15 +0100 (CET)
> From: ? ? ? ? ? ????????Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON@syv.la3sg.net>
> To: ? ? ? ? ? ? ????????nobody@syv.la3sg.net
> Subject: ? ? ? ?????????Returned mail: see transcript for details
>
> The original message was received at Sun, 3 Feb 2002 13:01:43 +0100 (CET)
> from nobody@localhost
>
> ? ?----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
> web-form@galeriadebahia.com
> ? ? (reason: 501 <nobody@syv.la3sg.net>... Sender domain must exist)
>
> ? ?----- Transcript of session follows -----
> ... while talking to mail.zoneedit.com.:
>
> <<<?501 <nobody@syv.la3sg.net>... Sender domain must exist
> 501 5.6.0 Data format error
> ===end error message==========================
> My machines lives on a 192.168.1.n network connected to the world through an
> ADSL connection, and are using zoneedit.com for DNS for la3sg.net. They are
> named one.la3sg.net, two.la3sg.net etc. in their respective rc.conf files.
> I receive similar messages when cron decides to send me a message.
> Any hints on a fix appreciated.
> regards from Kjell/LA3SG

I have the same problem. It started on an upgrade a while bacm.

It appears to be related to the "check_mail" feature that got turned om
in the default sendmail.cf.

Now as to a solutin, I have not worked through that. But I would think
that changing the sendmail config would be the trick. There is a section
on that in the Handbook.

BYW, if you get it fixed, I would love to hear how.

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin