Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 19:52:09 -0500
From:      "Chuck O'Donnell" <cao@bus.net>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
Cc:        "Chuck O'Donnell" <cao@bus.net>, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: error messages from bt driver

On Sat, Mar 13, 1999 at 05:44:29PM -0700, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
> >Thanks for the reply Justin.
> >
> >I tried 5.06I from the Mylex site, but no improvement. Same error
> >messages show up. Any thoughts on other things I can check?
> >
> >Thanks.
> >
> >Chuck
>
> One thing I don't know about on the MultiMasters is how they deal
> with a disk returning queue full status.  Your Seagate will only
> handle 64 commands at a time, but we've queued up 191 to the
> Buslogic.  Perhaps it will not release the mailbox for a transaction
> that is in the queue full state?  This would cause the first error
> message to occur.  My guess is that a quirk entry in sys/cam/cam_xpt.c
> limiting the number of tags for your drive to 64 will prevent the
> problem from happening.

I've had no disk errors since we made the quirk entries. If my
understanding is correct, the quirk entries were made because the
controller didn't handle SCSI_STATUS_QUEUE_FULL correctly (in
cam_periph.c)?

But now I see the following, which I understand to be only
informational messages, but still curious as to the source:

Mar 16 11:20:17 fern /kernel: (pass0:bt0:0:0:0): tagged openings now 32
Mar 16 11:20:23 fern /kernel: (pass0:bt0:0:0:0): tagged openings now 2

I would have thought that if the controller wasn't passing along the
queue full message, then this code would never be triggered. Does the
`pass' driver do something different that the `da' driver does not?

Thanks.

Chuck