Date:      Sat, 10 Jun 2000 12:09:28 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        karl nelson <kgnrgn@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CD_Rom problems

On Sat, Jun 10, 2000 at 02:17:14AM -0700, karl nelson wrote:
> I have the Walnut Creek 3.3 BSD disks ("A full 4.4
> Lite Based 32 Bit Operating System"), and can't
> succeed in installing.  I installed on another
> computer a couple of months ago with no problem, but
> now on another machine, half-way around the world (in
> Ethiopia, I get the message "no CD-Rom installed"
> whenever I try to install.  I made the two install
> floppies, kernel and mfs root; they load fine, I get
> through the disk partitioning part of install, then,
> when I select installation media, I get the above
> error.  My machine is a generic Pentium 166mz box,
> with a generic ATPI cd-rom drive.  At first, it had a
> compaq drive, and when that didn't work, I swapped in
> a sony drive.  But both are generic atpi, as I said.
> So the problem doesn't seem specific to the drive.
> Any ideas?

Hi Karl,

What is the configuration of your IDE/ATAPI devices? By that I mean
which channel and the master/slave settings for each device. FreeBSD
often has problems with CD-ROMs on the secondary slave when there is
nothing on the secondary master. Many PC builders set them up like
this, even some big name companies, but it is "illegal" according to
the ATAPI spec; a slave device should always have a master. It just so
happens that Windows will work with this config (but then when did M$
bother with standards?).

Also watch the messages that are printed when it boots (if you miss
any you can hit Scroll Lock and use the arrow keys to scroll back once
it finishes booting).

Check that it is finding the secondary IDE controller, wdc1 at 0x170
IRQ 14. Also see what it says for wcd0 (note: that's ``cd'', not
``dc'').

HTH

> Karl Nelson
> Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

        ...and on the eighth day God created UNIX