Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2007 05:06:52 -0700
From:      David Southwell <david@vizion2000.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net>, Gabor Tjong A Hung <g.v.tjongahung@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: ./options-descr file suggestion for ports

On Wednesday 13 June 2007 00:36:58 Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Quoting Gabor Tjong A Hung <g.v.tjongahung@gmail.com> (from Tue, 12
>
> Jun 2007 17:26:35 +0200):
> > As it is now some ports don't even have OPTIONS, and you need to define
> > variables to "define" your options. I don't really understand why this =
is
> > done this way, but this is equally annoying.
>
> First there where no OPTIONS, then OPTIONS was introduced. If you feel
> annoyed by those ports which are not converted yet to OPTIONS (because
> nobody felt annoyed enough to convert them), feel free to submit
> patches for them.
>
> Bye,
> Alexander.

OK guys

Can I bring this back to the topic please?
Some thoughtful contributions would be appreciated.

thanks

The original posting was:

**************************
Would it be possible , when a port has options,  to ask porters if they wou=
ld=20
consider the merits/demerits of adding:

1. An ./options-descr file in the port directory that describes =C2=A0the o=
ptions,=20
their purpose and any notes about an option

Reasons:
This would be extremely useful for anyone not familiar with the port to hel=
p=20
in the task of choosing which options to install.=20

I realise that this would depend upon whether maintainers are willing to ad=
d=20
an additional task to the already heavy burden they undertake. Maintainers=
=20
who are willing to consider this idea but are reluctant to prepare the note=
s=20
themselves but do not have the time or are for any reason reluctant to do s=
o,=20
could invite users to submit notes for incorporating in ./options-descr.

By way of example I am just installing www/ruby-gem-rails and had no immedi=
ate=20
idea whether or not to add fastcgi support without trying to find out wheth=
er=20
it is or is not needed when one has mod_ruby installed and
LoadModule ruby_module libexec/apache/mod_ruby.so
in httpd.conf. A brief note in a ./options-descr could be very helpful,=20
especially for some ports where the options are sometimes numerous and not=
=20
always completely documented.

A little bit of intial guidance about options would be most helpful to a=20
system administrator who is not necessarily familiar with the a specific=20
port.

my two pennorth.