Date:      Tue, 08 Jul 1997 18:55:44 +1000
From:      David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why news expiration is sooo slowww with 2.2.x.

>  What options are you using on the "ls"?  "-l" causes lots of getpwuid()
>  calls.

I don't think he was using any options (otherwise it would require
a stat(), but he said it didn't). But, fyi, doing this, particularly
on a news spool where everything is owned by the same user/group,
there'd only ever be one getpwuid(). ls uses libc's pwcache function,
which caches user/group information.

>  > I thought I would try to investigate what the problem was, but,
>  > before that; I'd send out the standard "has anyone seen/done anything
>  > in this area already?"   Has anyone else noticed an issue with
>  > readdir()?
>
>    No.  I have over 20GB of news spool space.  It only takes a couple of
>  hours to expire.  Uptime is currently at 37 days, running 2.2.1

Same here (on a 2.2.2 news server). Expiry usually takes less than an hour,
and it isn't by any means a fast machine by today's standards (486DX4/100).
Obviously we don't carry a full news feed. :)

Regards,
David