Date:      Fri, 03 Feb 2006 21:10:10 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Peter <petermatulis@yahoo.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: choosing a UPS

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 17:44:57 -0500 (EST), in
sentex.lists.freebsd.questions you wrote:

>I am in the market for a UPS to effect automatic shutdown (via DB9) of a
>file server (which will run FreeBSD 6.0).  I have noticed some large =
price
>fluctuations and I don't understand why.  I am comparing units of equal
>strength, say 750 VA.  Any comments on what I should be looking for?

The APC RS series work pretty well with /usr/ports/sysutils/apcupsd
and are a decent price.  Most use USB, but it works well with FreeBSD.

Not all UPSes are created equal.  In the "low end" consumer grade
stuff, they are essentially fast "switches".  The UPS detects power
loss, and it will quickly switch to the battery.  On higher end ones,
the utility power will feed the battery and you will get power
directly from the battery.  AC - DC - AC.  They can also clean up
noisy power and put out a constant voltage.  These are much more
expensive and are not really found in units under $750.  Some  units
provide a middle ground by providing some voltage regulation /
adjustment. APC calls it AVR and the UPS can kick in a few extra volts
when street power drops below a certain point.  The RS series does
that to a limited degree but provide decent value and protection for
the price.

Also check to see what the max watts it can put out.  If you have a
big power supply, the draw might be too big.  Another nice thing about
the RS, you can slap on an external battery pack to get longer
runtime.

Here is some sample output.  For this box, it will shutdown
automatically when there is 5% charge left in the battery.  At that
point, it initiates a system shutdown and after 60 seconds cuts power
to all the outlets on the UPS and stays off until street power comes
back

# apcaccess=20
APC      : 001,039,1002
DATE     : Fri Feb 03 20:59:34 EST 2006
HOSTNAME : xxx.sentex.ca
RELEASE  : 3.10.18
VERSION  : 3.10.18 (21 July 2005) freebsd
UPSNAME  : PM6
CABLE    : USB Cable
MODEL    : Smart-UPS 1500 RM
UPSMODE  : Stand Alone