Date:      Tue, 28 Jun 2011 05:24:46 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Kurt Buff <kurt.buff@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fubar'ed it good this time...

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 06:40:27 -0700, Kurt Buff wrote:
> Your advice sounds reasonable, but that site seems devoted to zfs bootables.
>
> I wonder if an 8.1 livefs iso will do the trick...

Check if you can download FreeSBIE somewhere. It's a live system
using the 5.x and 6.x kernel which should be fine. Next to two
GUI modes (light, heavy) it also has a versatile "maintenance mode"
for such operations. I have already successfully used this system
for solving similar situations, for diagnostics, and for data
recovery preparation.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany